Jean-Christophe Grangé — Polars Pourpres Index du Forum Jean-Christophe Grangé — Polars Pourpres
http://rivieres.pourpres.free.fr - http://polars.pourpres.net

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   Google MapGoogle Map   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 
Polars Pourpres

Interview de Peter James

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Jean-Christophe Grangé — Polars Pourpres Index du Forum -> Interviews
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Nico
Commissaire Niémans (site admin)

Les Rivières Pourpres

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 08, 2007 9:19 am    Sujet du message: Interview de Peter James Répondre en citant

Bonjour à tous,

Peter James a marqué les esprits des lecteurs de polars l'année dernière avec Comme une Tombe. Cette année, il est sélectionné pour le prix polar SNCF avec La Mort leur va si bien.
C'était donc tout naturel que Polars Pourpres lui pose quelques questions pour connaître un peu mieux l'auteur, ses références littéraires et ses projets.

Je vous invite donc à retrouver sur Polars Pourpres l'interview de Peter James !

Des petites contraintes techniques m'empêchent pour l'instant de mettre en ligne la version originale et la traduction en français. Je n'ai donc publié que la VF, et pour ceux que ça intéresse, la VO est disponible ci-dessous :

Citation:
Nicolas - Most of the French readers know Peter James since Dead simple (Comme une tombe in french), one of last year's best mystery novels. But very few of them know that you have written about 10 books before Dead simple, and that you first studied cinema. Could you please tell us how and why you started writing detective novels ?

Peter James - I have been addicted to detective stories ever since discovering Sherlock Holmes in my early teens. Then I discovered the US hardboiled writers like Raymond Chandler and Ed McBain and I realized how those two writers (and many others in their genre) so accurately reflected the society in which they lived ­ just as Holmes reflected London and England not just as back-drops to his novels, but warts and all social commentary in a way very similar to Dickens. I have always loved reading novels where I have been entertained but at the same time where I have been educated in some way. I have always been fascinated by the police because, similar to journalists but even more so, they live life on the "other side of the curtain". They see human life backstage, they are privilege to all kinds of information that is held back from the public. Many of them experience real danger, often, during their career, yet I have never met a police officer who does not passionately love his or her career. Through relationships I have developed over the years, I'm privileged to be able to spend several weeks every year as a fly on the wall with Sussex Police, in their various operations divisions, out on patrol and attending raids and arrests. It is invaluable in helping get a feeling of authenticity which I believe is crucial to all good writing, and I love that time I spend with them. But more than that, it gives me a completely different perspective on the world I live in, which I try to put across in my writing. I believe that good writing should be more than just telling a page-turning story, it should be about trying to make people think, and the crime thriller genre, for me, sublimely blends these two things. I have heard it said and I believe it to be true, that if Charles Dickens were writing today, he would be writing crime novels.

N. - Dead simple was published last year in France, and it introduces the character of Roy Grace, a detective interested in paranormal. Grace is also involved in Looking good dead (La Mort leur va si bien). How did you get the idea for such an open-minded character, who can trust either the most recent technologies or mediums ? Did you already know, when you wrote Dead simple, that Roy Grace would come back ?

P. J. - I was asked by my UK publishers, Macmillan to create a new fictional detective, with the intention of creating a series of several books, so yes, I knew there would be more than one - if people liked my character. I had already spent a huge amount of time with the police researching previous novels, and knew a lot of police officers. I met one twelve years ago, then an Detective Inspector, Dave Gaylor, who rose to become Detective Chief Superindentent and in many ways he is the career role model for Roy Grace. A deeply open minded man, who was one of the first detectives in the UK to harness new technologies such as DNA and the computer linking of "comparative" crimes across the UK and now Europe, and Dave, like many polices officers (such as those involved in the terrible Madeleine case in Portugal) is prepared to resort to mediums when all else fails. But I would never use the paranormal as a method of actually solving a case - that would be cheating on the reader!

N. - Dead simple and Looking good dead are two stories involving Roy Grace, but they are constructed and told on a totally different way. How do you explain it ?

P. J. - I love a challenge - and the big challenge to me is always to write a totally fresh novel each time. So I try to raise my own personal bar with every book, setting myself bigger challenges in plot and character. My next Roy Grace, Not Dead Enough is constructed very differently again, and in the one I am currently wriing, "Dead Man's Footsteps" I have three parallel stories happening in two different time periods - eventually of course they all intersect - I hope!

N. - You are a film producer, you have written several scripts for TV series : I think you would be delighted if one of your books became a film. Is there any project so far and, if you were asked, and would you like to write the screenplay ?

P. J. - Yes, the whole Roy Grace series is in development, and I am writing the scripts because I want to keep control. I also want to ensure that Roy Grace is played by an unknown actor who can grow into and become the character.

N. - A third Roy Grace novel has just been published in England. First, could you just tell us a few words about it ? And, then, of course, I would like to ask you if Roy Grace will return, or if you'd rather write stand-alone novels in the future ? You seem to have so many mysteries and secrets left to tell us about Roy Grace, his past, his wife...

P. J. - Not Dead Enough tells the story of a wealthy woman, found dead in her bed in Brighton in a kinky sex slaying. All the evidence points to her husband, but he has a cast iron alibi that he was sixty miles away, asleep in bed in London at the time. Is he a brilliant liar - or has someone stolen his identity?

Regarding Roy Grace and the future - yes, he returns in the next book and I am in the process of signing an agreement with my publishers to write a further four. I have some stand-alone ideas but at the moment I am havingsuch fund with the Roy Grace novels and the surrounding characters in his life, that I don't intend to digress.

N. - You said you love Conan Doyle's novels and the character of Sherlock Holmes. Who are your favorite detective-novels writers, and how do they influence you ?

P. J. - Certainly Sherlock Holmes was a very big influence when I was a child. I also loved the US hardboiled school - firstly Chandler and Ed McBain, then John D Macdonald's wonderful Travis McGee who lived on a houseboat on the Florida Keys and drove a Rolls Royce pickup truck and "got things back for people". And then Elmore Leonard who I think is the finest detective story writer of character of all time.

N. - You came in France last january during the Crime festival "Polar dans la Ville", and in Lyon last april for "Les Quais du Polar". "Dead Simple" has won several prizes in France. Did you except such a warm reaction from the French readers ?

P. J. - Never! I was incredibly flattered ! In my acceptance speech for Le Prix Coeur Noir in which I was up against two French writers I said that I never imagined the French would award this prize to a Rosbif !!!!! It was one of the proudest moments of my life.

Dernière édition par Nico le Mar Mar 22, 2011 1:55 pm; édité 3 fois
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
Hoel
Patrick Kenzie (modo)

Le Vol des Cigognes

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 08, 2007 10:10 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Interview intéressante. Merci Nico !

http://hanniballelecteur.wordpress.com/
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur MSN Messenger
Xavier
Meurtrier

Le Serment des Limbes

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 08, 2007 11:19 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Super
Merci
Il faut que je commande le dernier alors
montse
Meurtrier

Le Serment des Limbes

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 08, 2007 11:51 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Merci Nico ! Very Happy
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Fredo
Michael Myers

Le Vol des Cigognes

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 08, 2007 12:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Très bien l'interview en anglais Wink
Sybil
Serial killer : Leland Beaumont

Le Vol des Cigognes

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 08, 2007 12:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Sympa l'interview, merci Nico ! Dommage que les titres français ne respectent pas l'idée du mot repris à chaque fois...
Mag
Serial killer : Le Poète

Le Serment des Limbes

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 08, 2007 2:59 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

merci beaucoup Nico, je garderais toujours un très bon souvenir de cet auteur simple et fort sympathique Wink

Passionnant cet interview, je suis ravie d'apprendre que l'on va retrouver Roy Grace en livre et...au ciné !! Very Happy
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail  
Nico
Commissaire Niémans (site admin)

Les Rivières Pourpres

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 13, 2007 9:32 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

L'interview est désormais disponible en VF et en VO sur Polars Pourpres.
Dodger
Serial killer : Leland Beaumont

Les Rivières Pourpres

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 13, 2007 10:10 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Classe, l'interview, et vraiment très intéressante, merci !
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur  
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Jean-Christophe Grangé — Polars Pourpres Index du Forum -> Interviews Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: